September 18, 2009

Commuting Rant

Except for during the Great Blizzard of 08/09, which wasn't really a blizzard by most standards, but Vancouverites tend to freak out when there is more than 2 cm of snow...anyway I digress...I have ridden my bike to work every day for the past 2 years. I feel as though it's now time to lay out some of my gripes, not that I want people to listen or even expect sympathy, but because if I don't, I am likely to unleash a flurry of punches to the solar plexus of the next asshole that pisses me off out there.

Let the rant begin...

1. passing on the right - we've been driving on the right in this country for as long as I can remember. Maybe I should fix up my bike a la Road Warrior and start slicing and dicing.

2. cyclists who are too cool to wear helmets, use signals or follow basic road rules. I'm pretty sure you're emo hair-do can withstand a helmet and if your pasty arm is too weak to signal try some yoga or something.

3. fair weather riders - I'm all for a sunny ride, but if you're only gonna ride for 3 months of the year that doesn't exempt you from the general rules of the road

4. shitty drivers. hand signals - LEARN THEM. rear and side mirrors - USE THEM. it's pretty simple YOU FUCKING MORONS!!

5. stupid people. sigh. eye roll.

6. dinks that yell things like, "Get off the road!" and then screech by at the first completely unsafe and inopportune chance they get. Really? I mean REALLY?? If the 5 seconds you saved was that important you wouldn't be driving that shitty, insignificant 88 Toyota Celica. You'd be in the ugly, equally insignificant escalade behind you...did I mention I also loathe wanna-be's and chach's?

7. cyclists that ride with their knees pointing out. I know, I know, but it drives me freakin' nuts!

Please feel free to add to this list if you read this. I'm off to ride now..wish me luck!

No comments: