September 30, 2009

Strength Training in the Off Season

I recently started my 90 day strength training session. I bought into the P90X routine. I have subjected myself to many of these workout videos in the past (Cindy Crawford being my favourite, go ahead and laugh, but when you're 16 with 8% body fat, any workout video will do the trick), all with mixed results, but I wanted something hard core that would allow me to mix in some cross training while still avoiding the gym.

Welllllll.....let me tell you that this is REALLY FREAKIN HARD!! Two days into it and the pain completely shut me down forcing a brief hiatus. I just did an Ironman, what the hell is my problem!? Unfortunately, the problem is that while I worked my ass off to train for IMC I didn't every really get going on a proper strength training regime and I pretty much altogether abandoned any core work - BIG MISTAKE!

The early part of my training was plagued by hip and lower leg issues and just prior to Ironman I had some knee problems (patella femoral something or other garbage). Each time something came up I went to physio and massage and worked the problem out, but those issues might never have arisen had I just been proactive in my strength training. This is why I chose P90X.

There is no promise on the box that says, "in only 10 minutes a day!!!...blah, blah". In fact there's a fitness test to start the whole thing off and a promise that you are going to have to work hard to get results. The truth resonates with me as it should with most people, but in general people can be...I digress - see my last post for my opinion on the plebs and serfs.

So, after the hiatus from the initial shock to my system I am back on track and just finished week 1. I have a long way to go, but I'm really looking forward to what this will do for my upcoming triathlon season.

No comments: